miércoles, 25 de agosto de 2010

Equine Education: Basic Principles

 My taming style is natural and rational method free from violence. The horse learns by association, in other words, it learns step by step and by stimulation. My theory of called Equine Education is based on my knowledge of horsemanship and theorical contributions of initial schooling of children, along with the knowledge inherited by my grandfather and my father in a combination of English dressage with the Doma Criolla, due they are European descents. Generally, I start my work with kind strokes, playing with them, riding bareback, with nothing to reduce extraneous factors and frightening. It’s a fact that bareback ride allows the transmission of human warmth and in this way it enables contact between the feelings of the horse and rider, leading to a more direct level. At this stage it is important to introduce the use of food stimuli to enhance the progress of work. I run with patience, respect their time and mainly trying to gain their trust. Once it is obtained, I begin to show that I do not mean to hurt them but to share something beautiful with them. I never yell to them, I just talk to them or make soothing sounds to calm them down but without stop paying me attention. Personally, I believe this stage is essential as it defines the taming process’s final achievements, winning their attention and respect, treating them with love we can easily win their heart without frightening. We become co-workers sharing this art. At this early stage, I recommend using the round pen to present an additional limit in favour of the trainer to work on a treadmill. But this device is to be gradually removed to make a truly complete dressage, we should aim to eliminate any barrier between the horse and the riders, mostly relying on the scope provided by this relationship, not only are external elements that support assistants. I do not submit the horses to my designs, I let them be. I give them space to show their character and courage, sympathy or antipathy, anger or joy, making me responsible for their reactions, responding to their needs and adapting the course of my dressage to everyone. A free horse can express the best of it. Then and once they trust me to the point of obeying my orders, and they present completely relaxed at work, I put the saddle carefully so as not to create a shock or bad impression to which the answer would be violence. As with children this would be something that will never be erased from their mind. I ride for the first time with reins to the muzzle or headstock in order not to hit their mouth, as a good mouth is essential for polo. I start with an English handle and then I give a proper handling of polo. Once they have that polo handle with the particular polo movements (an aspect in which I work a lot) I start teaching them to play polo. The first steps are at walking gate just to let them see what it is about. Then, I'll give rhythm and once it is assimilated I begin to slowly mix them with other horses. It's not good for them to fear the experience because like a human if they are afraid it is very difficult for them to learn. I think horses as children need formal education, school but also the family education, life in the countryside, so I recommend periods of intense work interspersed with periods of rest. During these periods it is important to keep in touch, sharing mutual respect and affection, with the word and attitude, to establish the necessary link for a good taming process.


1 comentario: